“Goodbye, said the fox. And now here is my secret, a very simple secret. It is only with the heart that one can see rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye.” 
― Antoine de Saint-ExupéryThe Little Prince

I live and breathe by the story of the The Little Prince by Antoine de Sant-Exupery. You might be wondering why. It is a children's book afterall. It's true -- the pages are filled with handrawn sketches and 4th grade vocabulary words; however, the knowledge that comes to life, frivolously escaping off the paper after reading the final word, is worth centuries of thought. These days we could all use a little, youthful, innocent reminder to keep us honest. 

The story starts out with a pilot making a crash landing in the middle of a desert. All hope seems to be lost, until one night a small little boy with blonde hair and blue eyes arrives, asking the unfortunate pilot to draw a pen for his sheep. The pair become friends as the prince takes the pilot on an imaginative journey, detailing his trip through space from his little home on an asteroid, to different plants, ending up down to Earth. He met several people, learning about their silly mannerisms.

Whether its a conceited man's inability to care about anything besides himself..."But the conceited man did not hear him. Conceited people never hear anything but praise." 

...Or a King's insatiable appetite for power and obedience, "Sire,I beg that you will excuse my asking you a question--" [said the Little Prince.] "I order you to ask me a question," the king hastened to assure him."

...Or a Banker's unending obsession with wealth and ownership..."I know a planet where there is a certain red-faced gentleman. He had never smelled a flower. He has never looked at a star. He has never loved any one. He has never done anything in his life but add up figures.” 

...the Little Prince finds himself leaving each encounter more and more confused. 

Finally, the Little Prince meets a Fox who tells him that life's dearest treasures are invisible, not tangible. They can't be counted or quantified. "What is essential is invisible to the eye." Up until that point, everyone had told the Little Prince that the most important things in life are not questioning routine, or being rich, or holding power. But it's not true. This philosophy offers a refreshing reminder of the most important things in life: love, happiness, peace, etc. What really gives people value are these intangible and "invisible" items. 

I chose this as my philosophy statement because I like to be reminded of what is really important. In such a fast-paced, financially-driven world, people often lose sight of themselves. Being vain will never give you true value or happiness. Neither will power or money.

Following one's true passions is what defines value and happiness.